At Kaufman Dental Associates we are concerned about the effects that toxic materials may have on the health of our patients and on the environment. Many people don’t realize that “silver” amalgam fillings are composed of at least 50% mercury. The combination of silver, tin and copper typically comprise the remaining 50%. A large filling may contain as much mercury as was found in an old fashioned thermometer. In the United States we have chosen to abandon mercury containing thermometers due to risk of mercury exposure if broken. We know mercury to be the most toxic, non-radioactive element on earth, yet many dentists are still using it on a regular basis.
In my practice I have chosen not to offer mercury containing materials as a restorative option to my patients. Furthermore, my team and I have been trained in the safest possible mercury filling removal techniques. Our S.M.A.R.T certification ensures that we are committed to protecting our patients, our environment, and ourselves while working with this toxic material.
To protect both our patients and the environment we follow the "SMART" protocol that is recommended by the international Academy of Oral medicine and toxicology (IAOMT):
implementing a high volume suction system that traps the amalgam particles and mercury vapor.
Isolate the treated teeth from the rest of the mouth with a non-latex rubber dam to prevent ingestion of amalgam particles.
Reducing Mercury Vapor by using copious amounts of water on the site
Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize mercury vapor generation.
Provide a mercury free source of air.
Safely collecting old composite particles for proper disposal to lessen the impact of the environment
Kaufman Dental Associates makes no claims that improvements in ones health will occur by the removal of amalgam fillings. A blood test administered by a medical doctor or holistic provider is the only conclusive way to measure mercury presence in ones system.